BRIEF HISTORY
While most schools in built-up areas of Dublin are a hasty afterthought to the planning of houses, we are fortunate in that schools in Raheny have an association with the oldest houses in the parish.
The first school in Raheny was built just across the road from the churchyard on the site now occupied by Carvill Rickard & Co., Solicitors and Macari’s, the chip shop. Under the terms of the will of Mr. Samuel Dick, it was maintained out of the rents of the cottages in The Crescent, which were built before 1800. Boys and girls, Catholic and Protestant, attended lessons in three classrooms.
In 1820, the first Catholic school in the district was built in Raheny, in the grounds where the scout den now stands. The expense of £300 was borne by Mr. William Sweetman of Raheny House. Curiously, Protestant and Catholic boys attended the “Charity” (Protestant) School and Protestant and Catholic girls attended the Catholic School, which was “supported by subscription”. Thus, instead of being organised on the basis of denomination, the schools were organised on a male/female basis.
In 1835/36, Raheny Catholic School was taken into connection by the Commissioners of National Education and organised as Raheny Boys’ School and a separate Raheny Girls’ School. In 1837, the Ordinance Surveyor reported that the male and female scholars were all Roman Catholic, and that the Master had £8 and the Mistress £6 per annum from the National Board.
The Protestant School moved to a new building on Station Road in 1838 and was taken into connection by the Commissioners in 1886. The school moved to newer premises on Springdale Road in the late 1960’s.
The interest of Rahenyites in education can be gleaned from the census figures of 1841. Out of a total population of 722, the following figures were given for persons aged five years and upwards: 120 males and 109 females could read and write, 84 males and 106 females could read only, and 87 males and 116 females could neither read nor write – overall a creditable record.
By 1928, the number of pupils in the boys’ school and the girls’ school had decreased so much that the two were amalgamated to form Raheny Mixed National School. This was the position until 1958, when, with the increase in population, the mixed school was divided into three schools – Scoil Assaim (Boys), Naí Scoil Íde (Infants) and Scoil Áine (Girls).
Scoil Áine was officially opened on the 25th of February 1958 by Mr. T. Ó Raifeartaigh, Secretary of the Department of Education and blessed by the Archbishop of Dublin, Dr. J. C. McQuaid. The Poor Servants of the Mother of God, who came to Raheny in 1952 at the invitation of Archbishop McQuaid, undertook the management of Scoil Áine when it was opened. The first principal in 1958 was Sr. Agnes SMG. When she retired in 1972 Sr. Christina Frawley SMG took over until she retired in 1984. In that year the parish took over management of the school. Marie Duffy became the first lay principal and was principal for 21 years.